Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
We usually associate the slow cooker with cold weather cooking, and turn to it for hearty stews, seasonal soups and rich, slow cooked proteins. In reality, slow cookers are ideal for every season, and are a perfect way to cook warm meals in summer without having to heat up your stove and kitchen.
In summer, you want to spend your time outdoors, at the beach, beside the pool or exploring your neighborhood, rather than slaving over a hot oven. Slow cooker meals make it easy to prep and go, and return home to a perfectly crafted meal waiting for you to plate up and serve.
Summer slow cooker recipes also make good use of your bounty from your local farmer's market, and help you make good use of those fresh, seasonal veggies and fruits you've been stocking up on. Here are 9 summer slow-cooker recipes that will satisfy the meat-lover, vegetarian, light eater, heavy eater and simply hungry person in your life. Bon Appetit!
- Slow Cooked Barbeque Chicken. This simple recipe makes for a perfect summer barbeque chicken dish with its easy to make barbeque sauce and juicy, tender chicken.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Lettuce Cups. On hot days, you want to eat light, and these lettuce cups are the perfect solution. You'll feel satisfied without being weighed down, and will enjoy eating these for lunch or dinner.
- Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder. Sweet, tangy and easy to shred, this delicious pork shoulder recipe is perfect for placing on a fresh bun or pouring over grits. Perfect for every season, you'll find yourself coming back to this recipe often.
- Pork Carnitas. Juicy, packed with flavor and a perfect summer meal for just about any night of the week, you'll find yourself turning to this delicate pork meal again and again. Add rice and beans to the side and you'll have a solid, filling meal for your whole family.
- Curried Vegetables on Cous Cous. Veggie lovers will swoon for this flavorful dish that combines your favorite vegetables and cumin, curry, cayenne and chutney. Feel free to add a protein to this dish for your meat-loving family or friends, or vary the vegetables based on what's in season.
- Chicken Enchilada Stack. These easy to make enchiladas are also fun to eat (you simply stack them instead of rolling them). Mix up this recipe by throwing in local, seasonal veggies and you'll enjoy fresh, new flavors all summer long.
- Slow Cooker Poached Salmon with Lemon and Herbs. On days when you want to eat light but stay satisfied, you'll want to turn to this delightful, moist and flavorful poached salmon recipe.
- Mango Chicken Stuffed Peppers. Fresh peppers from your local farm market or grocer will make this juicy and flavor-packed recipe come to life, and help you get rid of your summer produce bounty. Bright, colorful and bursting with flavor, you'll love looking at this dish almost as much as you'll love eating it.
- Vegetarian Gumbo. Put those delicious, seasonal farmer's market veggies to good use in this simple, hearty and delicious vegetarian gumbo recipe that will satisfy you all summer long.
Filed Under: Life at Commonwealth at York Apartments
Mira Roberts studied writing at New York University, graduating with a BA in English Literature before pursuing a career in media, marketing and management with PARADE Magazine, Portfolio Magazine, AltDaily, skirt! and lululemon athletica. A full time mother, writing instructor and part-time freelance writer, Mira lives and laughs with her family in Norfolk, VA.
comments powered by Disqus