Fall Cleaning Checklist
Now that September is upon us, it's time to start shaking the sand out of our stuff and clean house to get ready for fall. It's important to give your apartment a good, deep clean now, so that your home is prepped and ready for the impending holidays and winter. Since you'll find yourself staying indoors more during the cooler months, you'll want your home to be fresh, clean and organized.
After a long, hot summer spent by the beach or at the pool, you've probably accumulated summer gear, piles of sand at the bottom of every bag and a host of products that you won't need for another 8-9 months. Now is the perfect time to pack up seasonal gear and products, dust out those nooks and crannies you've been ignoring and give your home a thorough refresher.
If you're not sure where to start, or feel overwhelmed just looking at your pile of flip-flops, sunscreens and beach towels, you're in good luck. Here's a simple fall cleaning checklist to help you get your apartment in tip top shape and ready for the new season. Get organized, declutter and bring sparkle and shine back into your home this fall with these simple steps...
This may seem like the last place to start, but cleaning your outdoor spaces first will save you from having to do the work when the weather turns cold or rainy. Take advantage of comfortable fall weather and tackle your patio (if you have one).
- Wipe down furniture, clean off table tops and sweep dust and debris from the floor.
- Use soap and water to wipe down all surfaces, and if you have items you'd like covered, now is the time.
- Pack away any summer decor or chotchkes inside, and pay close attention to your container garden as temperatures drop.
Clean Common Areas First
Start your fall deep clean indoors by tackling the common areas, beginning with your living room and dining room.
- In your living room, focus on decluttering your space, removing summer decorations and throwing out old magazines or junky piles that may have collected in your space.
- Vacuum carpets, sweep and mop floors and wipe down base boards. Dust all surfaces and throw blankets into the hot wash.
- Use a hand vac to get into your couch and chair cushions and if you use removable throw pillow covers, toss those into the gentle wash to remove dust, dirt or debris.
Kitchens and Bathrooms
Now, it's time to put some elbow grease into your work.
- Beginning with your kitchen, go through your pantry, cabinets and refrigerator and toss out expired items or products that you just don't need.
- Once you've cleared your cabinets and refrigerator, wiped them down inside with soap and water.
- Remove items from your countertops and give your counters a thorough scrub down.
- Wipe the front of your cabinets and finally, sweep and mop your floor.
- While the kitchen floor dries, head to your bathrooms and give your tubs, tile, toilets and sinks and solid scrub.
- Open up your medicine cabinet and sink cabinet and throw out expired medications as well as products that you no longer need.
- Throw beach towels, bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths into the hot wash.
- Store the beach towels until next year in a linen closet or designated storage space.
- Wipe down baseboards.
- Sweep and mop the floors.
Now that you've cleared out all of your apartment's common areas, it's time to dig into your bedrooms.
- Throw all bedding, pillow covers and throw blankets into a hot wash. After washed, pack away and store summer sheets and blankets, and unpack winter sheets and blankets.
- Declutter your bedside table by eliminating piles and placing books on shelves or storing them away.
- Go through your closet with a fine-toothed comb and remove items that you no longer wear, donating or giving away items that no longer serve you.
- Pack and store summer clothes, shoes and bathing suits appropriately.
- Take beach bags outside and shake out sand before running them through the wash or wiping them down with soap and water to remove excess sunscreen, sand and dirt.
- Dust and wipe down all surfaces.
- Place fresh bedding on your bed.
- Vacuum, sweep and mop floors.
- Wipe down baseboards and ceiling fans, as applicable.
Inspect your laundry space.
- Wipe down your machines and check your dryer vent for built up lint.
- Remove excess lint and throw out old products.
- Declutter your space by organizing laundry accessories and products, and eliminating old piles of laundry or items that you no longer use.
- Wipe down baseboards and floors.
Filed Under: Life at Commonwealth at York Apartments
Mira Roberts studied writing at New York University, graduating with a BA in English Literature before pursuing a career in media, marketing and management with PARADE Magazine, Portfolio Magazine, AltDaily, skirt! and lululemon athletica. A full time mother, writing instructor and part-time freelance writer, Mira lives and laughs with her family in Norfolk, VA.
comments powered by Disqus